Quizzes with Tablets

Jump to solution
cholling
Community Champion

Hi -- wondering what your experiences have been with students taking quizzes using Tablets and laptops -- wondering if there is a difference or a positive/negative between using the devise browser vs. the Canvas app?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
rseilham
Community Champion

Hi, Cynthia - 

I can speak to the mobile experience. The mobile app supports most of the quiz types, but there are a few things to consider. 

The Canvas app natively supports quizzes that contain Essay, Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer, Fill in the Blank, Matching, Numeric, or True/False questions.  Formula and Multiple Fill in the Blank are not supported. Any quizzes that do not contain supported question types are redirected to the web version of Canvas.

Currently, the app does not support one-question-at-a-time quizzes, quizzes with passcode restrictions, or quizzes with IP address restrictions.

For more information about mobile quizzes, check out:

How do I take a quiz in the Canvas app on my iOS device? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9762 

So, for experience, if your quiz is supported and displays in the native app on a tablet or smartphone, the experience is very good, but if it's not supported, the experience is less than desired. 

View solution in original post

pwalsh
Community Novice

My personal experience, in addition to everything that's above, that if the quiz is text-only and everything else is fine, it doesn't matter. If your quiz has a lot of math and/or images, usually the browser (for iOS in particular) seems to be more reliable. That said, if there are a lot of images or math they sometimes show up with the wrong question or not at all. It's typically very obvious to the student, and we've taught them to just refresh and it usually comes out OK after that. Sometimes the app sizes images funny and kids prefer to have the control to zoom in and out more, which they can do better in a browser.

A lot of my kids will start taking a quiz in the app because they prefer it and then just move to the browser if it gets annoying. Canvas is very good about letting a student resume a quiz.

Also, we use LockDown Browser sometimes, particularly if we have a rash of cheating attempts. I find it works very well if you don't mind the errors it throws up that don't actually mean anything. Once kids click through the errors it works well. I've found it handles images even better than Safari.

We are an iPad school.

View solution in original post