AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you handle Student Profile information?

Question asked by Jen Millea on Jun 13, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 by Jen Millea

Hi everyone

We are in the process of implementing Canvas at the University of Canberra in Australia. 

My question is in relation to student control over what is displayed in their profile. From what I can see as an admin students are not able to not display certain information - for example:

- all the courses they are enrolled in are listed. 

- other students can see what sections they are in, in the course

We were hoping to use sections to manage Reasonable Adjustment Plans (individual plans for students with disability) so that, for example, students who are allowed extra time for a quiz can be added to a section and provided with a quiz with more time allocated to it. However, if we did that, all students would be able to see that they are in that section. For us, that is a privacy problem.

While we can be smart with naming a section, it would make sense for the choice to show or not show profile information about their enrolment in courses, or inclusion in sections, was up to the student. As far as I can tell from the profile settings there is no options for students to not display that information. Has anyone also thought this? 

Outcomes