AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unpublished box is missing

Question asked by Tracey DeLillo Expert on Jul 11, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2017 by Erin Hallmark

I'm starting this as a discussion because there's no good place to comment on it. I'm tagging the Canvas Admins group, but it's a faculty issue as well.

The "THIS COURSE IS UNPUBLISHED" box - the one that contains the Setup Checklist button - is now missing from all our unpublished courses. I opened a ticket, and was told (quoting directly): "I believe the box was removed in lou [sic] of the new canvas tutorial". When I asked the agent to clarify that this is now expected functionality, I was told that is correct.

First of all, are others seeing this? To be clear, here's what we used to see versus what we now see:

BEFORE:

NOW:

I would also mention that we DO NOT have the New User Tutorial enabled, and this is happening in production, not beta. The How do I publish a course? guide still has the first image above (with the box). I can't find any mention of this change in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-07-05) or in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-04-22)  where the feature was first offered as an option.

Why does this matter? We are used to seeing the box as a visual indicator that the course isn't published. Yesterday, a veteran Canvas user (5+ years) asked me why students couldn't see her just-beginning Summer II classes. They weren't published.

Did I miss a discussion about this? Has it been like this for a while and I didn't notice? Anyone else bothered by it?

Outcomes