AnsweredAssumed Answered

In an assignment, how do I let students pick a topic at random?

Question asked by Adarsh Char on Jul 21, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 25, 2017 by Cynthia Hollingsworth

Hello brilliant Canvas Community,

I've got something of a challenge: an instructor I'm working with, in her f2f class, passes around a hat with assignment topics. Students draw one of four topics out of the hat randomly, and that's what they work on for the assignment. I can't have the teacher assign these topics because she wants to students to get the pick of the draw and they get what they get and they don't get upset.

An ideas on how to randomize this in Canvas? 

Here are the parameters: 4 topics, 15 (but let's say 16 students for evenness), and I need an equal distribution of the 4 topics across students.

I considered using randomization via a quiz but could figure out how to implement that. My thought was that I could create 4 quizzes with a question group that randomly spits out a quiz question that is actually a topic assignment but found two issues with that: 1. Theoretically, multiple students within a student group assigned to a quiz could get the same question and 2. you can only assign different quizzes to different sections rather than student groups anyway - so that was a bust.

I also considered a JS randomizer to drop into a page but I'm not sure how to make it so that available topics are depleted as they are selected.

Thanks for your ideas!

Adarsh

Outcomes