AnsweredAssumed Answered

Permalinks to Files?

Question asked by James Khazar on Jul 21, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 by awilliams

Is there any way to get a permalink to a file in the Files section in a Course? If there is, I can't find it. When any file is updated, it gets a new reference URL which destroys the ability to link to the file and update it in the future without going back are resetting all the links you've made to the file. In other words, if I upload a .zip file to Files, a link to it looks something like this: https://dvc.instructure.com/courses/21963/files/folder/media?preview=804345 , but if a overwrite the file with a newer version, the preview=804245 part of the link is now preview=804346 or some other number. 

This flies in the face of good database-driven CMS/LMS design. Anything stored in the database should have a way of getting a permanent link so the updating links issue doesn't present itself. Also, there's an actual Paradox in this non-permalink issue. I have html pages in my files that should cross-link each other, but if I update one page with the link to the other page, then that page has a new preview number, so the second page linked back to the first fails to link to it. And if I update that page with the correct link to the first one, the first one now has a bad link to the second. That's why you don't design a system that doesn't have permalinks.

permalink , permalinks

Outcomes