All of my students were loaded into one section, and I want to separate them into two sections to represent the class periods they are enrolled in.
Ideally, your students would be imported to your class via different sections. It's even better when those sections are cross-listed so that you can run the same class, albeit different periods, in one course shell. I recommend talking to your Canvas admin about making sure that information is being imported correctly, doesn't create issues with your SIS (if you have one), etc.
If you find yourself back in the same predicament where you need to make the changes yourself, you can make the changes yourself. Again, I must emphasize that you should speak to your admin first.
1. Go to Course Settings
2. Under Course Settings select the Sections tab
3. Under Sections you will see your existing section and an area where you can add a new section.
4. Add a section title in the box
5. Select the +Add Section
6. Navigate to the People tab in the Course Navigation Menu
7. Under People, you will be able to assign students to a section using the "Edit Sections" option under the gear associated with each student.
Kamehameha Schools Maui Campus
270 ʻAʻapueo Parkway
Pukalani, Hawaiʻi 96768
Retrieving data ...