AnsweredAssumed Answered

Flash required for recording video

Question asked by Nancy Latimer on Sep 10, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2017 by chofer@morainepark.edu

Students and teachers are now consistently getting this message on our desktop computers when attempting to record audio/video from the RCE:

Flash required for recording video   (see attached screenshot)

We are on the current version of Chrome.  After doing some searching around, I found what works to fix this here:

Roll Call - Flash Is Required Error – Frontier Nursing University 

Thank you, Frontier Nursing University!

As directed, I allow Chrome to run Flash, but turn OFF the option where it asks you first if it's okay to run it. This fixed the problem.  However, I know that Chrome is getting away from Flash and that it's recommended to not turn it on for all sites, but to ask first:

Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help 

So, the fix would be to leave the option set to "on" to ask first but to add Canvas as a site allowed to run Flash. I have found two ways of doing this; the one above, in the first link, and then another, in the second link (under "Always allow Flash on trusted sites").

Okay, so it can be fixed. BUT - these methods require knowledge on the part of the student or teacher so that they can get the recording feature to work within the RCE in Canvas.  And this is for Chrome; I haven't even looked into what to do for Safari (same error message in RCE when recording).

Would would be ideal is if Canvas could deal with this issue directly, by asking the user for permission to run Flash. I don't know if this is even possible. Has anyone else come across this and if so, how are you dealing with it?

Thanks!

Outcomes