AnsweredAssumed Answered

course visibility override of term availability setting

Question asked by bowmanr@uah.edu on May 21, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 by Kona Jones

I really did not want to post this as an idea yet.  I wanted to get some feedback on it before deciding if it is an idea that needs to be pushed out.

I just recently tried to publish a new course with an earlier availability  date than the one set by the admins.  Since I am new to Canvas, this was the first time I tried this operation.  I had published the class and changed the start date.  However, I managed to miss the check box for

This will override any term availability settings.

Therefore, when I checked my dummy students account ( a good reason(possibly) to have one of those as opposed to just student view) I could see the course in my future class list, but no way to actually go to the class.  Once I talked to an Admin, it took all of 2 seconds to correct the problem by checking the box.

in trying to resolve my problem before calling the Admin, I found the check boxes under the visibility section for

Restrict students from viewing course after end date

and

Restrict students from viewing course before start date

And those boxes obviously were not going to resolve the problem I had. 

My thought is that if I purposely change the start date for a course and the course is published,  the check box for overriding the term settings should be done automatically.  I do not know if this is an option that our admins can turn on/off or modify for us or not.  I posted a picture of the settings page showing the lines mentioned above(more for people like me than people with the answers).

Any admins out there have any comments about this question?

Outcomes