AnsweredAssumed Answered

Communicating with Student Groups as an Instructor

Question asked by Nancy Latimer on May 26, 2015
Latest reply on May 26, 2015 by Renee Carney

Hello!

Our high school band teachers (2) want to use Canvas to communicate with students using announcements, discussions and conversations; they also want to store files and use the calendar. They need the communication to be as follows:

1) With ALL of the band students at once, where the information is relevant to EVERYONE.

2) With each of the 3 types of bands individually - Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Wind Ensemble.  In this case, certain announcements, etc., are only relevant to certain bands.

Since there are many students, I set up a "course" called "High School Bands" and used self-enrollment.  My initial plan was to use sections, but it turns out that students are not able to self-enroll in sections.  So I then created 3 groups instead, one for each of the above "sub-bands."   The plan was to have them self-enroll and then join the appropriate group.

I set myself up as a teacher for the "High School Bands" course to test this, but do not seem to be able to communicate only with the sub-bands.  For example, if I try to send them a message using the Inbox, the "Groups" do not come up.  Since I am a teacher, I don't seem to have a way to join each of these groups.  I can go to the Groups from the "People" page and then "Visit the group page." But if I then try to send an announcement, for example, the announcement goes to EVERYONE, not just the sub-band.

It seems to me that a teacher would also have to be a student-member of each group to make this work?  Can anyone help me with this or perhaps suggest a workaround?

Thank you so much!

Nancy Latimer

Mountain Lakes High School

New Jersey

Outcomes