Note to Moderators
I do apologize for all the moderation requests my editing this causes. I don't know what triggers the requests, but I guess I did it so that it's requested everytime I make a change. :S
Alrighty, so here's a little discussion I figured I'd start for identifying all the issues/quirks I've encountered (thus far). If others want to contribute to the list, I'd be happy to update it to reflect anything reported, but I figured a single location would be better than having a bunch of posted throughout the group (at least while it's still in Beta).
Now, please be aware that I am pursuing this testing as systematically as possible. Anything listed here will have been tested by me prior to its addition to the list.
- (10/11 @ 5:39 PM EST) Rich Text Editor has no working shortcuts command despite the title of the RTE IFRAME title stating, "Press ALT+F8 for help," which is normally the shortcuts list
- (10/11 @ 5:39 PM EST) Rich Text Editor lacks HTML Editor option
- (10/11 @ 5:39 PM EST) Quiz builder gets noticeably laggy the longer the quiz gets
- (10/12 @ 3:50 PM EST) Resetting "Student View" is not clearing attempt from the quiz, resulting in a quiz being marked as in progress
- (10/12 @ 4:53 PM EST) Quizzes copied to another course lose all their content. This applies to importing a just the assignment and copying the course.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: This is identical to the issue previously found with the SCORM LTI which made use of SCORM in Canvas highly infeasible.
- (10/12 @ 8:46 AM EST) QTI Importing confirmed to work on current Canvas quiz importing produces the following error in the LTI:Test import file consisted of one True or False and one Multiple Choice question. The QTI archive used to test the basic importing functionality is attached to this post and was generated with ExamView 6.2.1 exporting to Blackboard 7.1+.
The qti import failed.
ERROR: ERROR: Undefined namespace prefix: //xmlns:resources/xmlns:resource[@type='imsqti_test_xmlv2p1']/@href at line:/var/lib/gems/2.3.0/gems/nokogiri-1.8.1/lib/nokogiri/xml/searchable.rb:198:in `evaluate`
- (10/12 @ 12:18 PM EST) When accessing the "Manage Item Banks" view the triple dot dropdown menu at the top-right of the quiz builder, there is no means by which to return to the quiz builder and/or Canvas
- (10/12 @ 12:18 PM EST) Banks seem to be shared by user, not course/institution.
- Personally, I'd've expected them to be shared by course, allowing different teachers to be able to pull questions from the same banks. Sharing across an institution doesn't seem needed, though, since a math course would have need for an english question bank.
- Users are unable to edit a question in a quiz that is linked from a bank created by another user. Instead they get the following warning:
Banked Item. You are not authorized to edit this item.
- (10/12 @ 2:30 PM EST) When editing a bank link in a quiz, the editor remains open after clicking "Done", disabling the "Done" button, and making additional changes does not re-enable the button. In this state, you must click outside of the question area to get it to reset to the read-only view. At which point, it will save whatever settings you had when you clicked outside of the question area, even if you only changed them to try to get the "Done" button re-enabled.
- (10/12 @ 2:30 PM EST) When editing a bank link in a quiz, the "Cancel" button does nothing.
- (10/16 @ 11:45 AM EST) When adding a question from a bank and linking a bank, it is possible that the question added from the bank will be loaded twice due to being pulled from the random link.
Fill in the Blank
- (10/11 @ 5:39 PM EST) Rich Text Editor is not supported?
- (10/16 @ 11:42 AM EST) Using "Regular Expression Match" formatting is strictly the acceptable matching and it appears to support advanced functionality (such as lookaheads). Basically, you can declare your regex, but not the flags.
DO DON'T apples|oranges
- (10/12 @ 8:46 AM EST) There is no option present to add these to a question bank from a quiz, but they can be added directly to a question bank
- (10/12 @ 12:18 PM EST) Since this is the only question type where it's possible, it may be a bug that its title can be edited after it has been added to a bank, but only from editing within the bank. No other question type offers the ability to edit the title of a question from within a bank.
- (10/16 @ 10:36 AM EST) It seems that available "Outcomes" are limited and sporadic. Some that are available lack their full structure while others are simply missing.
- (10/12 @ 3:50 PM EST) Shuffling controls for question groups (Stimulus): I like that the questions attached to a "Stimulus" entry are not shuffled (excellent for multiple questions that build on eachother), but more often than not I would imagine shuffling of these questions would still be preferred. For example, multiple questions relying on the same figure don't need to be in the same order, so long as they are present.
- (10/12 @ 3:50 PM EST) Question count controlls for question groups (Stimulus): The bank linking allows for the load of random x questions from a bank. This would be nice to see for "Stimulus" groups, too. For example, there may be a group of 20 questions with identical instructions for different content (I'm thinking like a langauge course), but you don't really want that many to be loaded at any given time.
- (10/12 @ 3:50 PM EST) Preview: Simply previewing the completed quiz without any link to an actual attempt would be great.
- (10/12 @ 3:50 PM EST) Additional Moderation Controls: The ability to delete quiz attempts would be great for fixing little accidental attempts where a user accesses the quiz before having been given edit rights, resulting in the quiz marking it as having been attempted.
- (10/12 @ 4:53 PM EST) The ability to export quizzes to a standard format would be nice.
- (10/12 @ 6:19 PM EST) Deleting banks would be nice.
- (10/12 @ 6:19 PM EST) Being able to bulk move/copy/import questions to a bank would be amazing. First bank I made had me adding each individual question from a quiz into the bank, which is quite time-consuming when considering the various different effects that throw off content positioning in the editor as you go to do something.
- (10/16 @ 10:36 AM EST) The ability to manage Outcomes from within the Quizzes.Next interface would be nice.
- (10/16 @ 11:50 AM EST) I know it's unlikely that an legitmate quiz/test would be built where some students could get a manual graded question (i.e., essay) while others wouldn't, but it is a possibility. With that in mind, some sort of tick or indicator on the "Moderate" page to identify attempts requiring manual grading would be awesome.