AnsweredAssumed Answered

Clarifications needed regarding annotating student work.

Question asked by Ryan Hill on Oct 14, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 by rogrant@nmsu.edu

Not sure how DocViewer annotation works... 

For instance: What exactly does this mean?  (From the DocViewer Help pages) ... 

"When you open a submission, DocViewer will automatically save any annotations made to the submission file for 10 hours. Canvas will display a session expiration warning at 9 hours 50 minutes, followed by a 5-minute and 1-minute warning until the 10 hour limit has been reached. You can restart a DocViewer session at any time by refreshing the submission page.

I am annotating student work submitted as file attachments. I'm assuming my students will be able to see these when they finally get around to reviewing my comments, maybe today, maybe 3 days from now? What is this 10 hour window all about?  This seems to imply that if I annotate assignments in the evening, when I wake up the next morning, students won't see a thing. My worry stems from the fact that I annotated many assignments, showed up to my class section several days later, and not only could some students not see annotations, but when they went to their assignments, some had no option to even view them in DocViewer. There was no "review" button or whatever it's called. All students could do was "download" their own assignment, and none of my area annotations, with associated text in the margins, would show up. Am I wasting my time by trying to give student feedback? 

Outcomes