AnsweredAssumed Answered

VetTrak task commencement and Canvas Module unlock:

Question asked by Joel (Inactive) Brown on Oct 22, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2017 by Amelia Hayson

VetTrak task commencement and Canvas Module unlock:

My RTO has the requirement that we accurately record when students actually commence the study of a unit, not just when it was enrolled. Currently, I don't know much about these requirements as its relating to skills first funding, something I am not previously familiar with.

What I am wondering is how do other RTO's get around this, if they have this requirement too.

So far the trigger for VetTrak to commence a Task (we use tasks to cluster competencies as we have for modules in canvas - the task commencement date is what we need for reporting with regards to skills first) is to place a marked Quiz at the beginning of a module. This quiz is not tied to any outcomes but it does trigger VetTrak Tasks. 
This may not be ideal in the long run as I foresee some students skipping this quiz unless I set it as a requirement and the requirements must be completed in sequential order. It also bumps up the assignment count which is not ideal.

I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of how to accurately report on student activity and have that feed to VetTrak to initialise commencement of a task.

I would much rather have the trigger be student activity on a reading page or when they first open a topic for reading, not when student submits a quiz or assignment. 

Joel

Outcomes