For my class of 50 students, we have 12 groups working on a semester-long community-engaged project. To monitor progress, I formed Group Discussions, to which (at least) one member of a group is required to post weekly progress on the project. Two issues:
- I've been instructed that, in Canvas, I cannot apply a group grade to a discussion. Seems illogical - why have a function for which I can set up a group Discussion to be graded, and then not be able to assign the same grade to every student in the group? Suggestion to Canvas: please just do this! Thanks. [If anyone wants to suggest a more efficient way I can grade just the 12 groups, and not each of the 50 individual students, for their compliance with this assignment prompt, I'm listening.]
- I'm looking for a "fewest-clicks-possible" way to navigate the 12 groups' weekly Discussion posts. What I'm doing now seems clunky.....
- I click on a Discussions (to find that week's Discussion, assigned to all 12 Groups)
- I click on one of the 12 Group's Discussion link
- Now, I'm in "Group-Land" (furthest left main Canvas account menu is now active, under "Groups") - exactly where I do not want to be....because,
- once in "Group-Land," I'm in this "Groups-only" mode of Canvas, seeing only the one Group's entries for all things Groups-related. Huh?
- I click "Switch Group," go to the next group (still in "Group-Land") and I remain stuck in the Groups-only section of my entire Canvas account
- All I want to do is - with limited clicks - quickly review the 12 groups' postings to their Discussion. Why am I clicking the Discussion, clicking on a Group (one of twelve), reading their post, switching to another group, finding their post and clicking on it, etc. etc. etc.
- Is there a way I can re-set my account default for "Groups" so that I remain in the same course for which I'm reviewing and grading students' Group Discussions for just that course?
- Suggestion to Canvas: If I've set up Group Discussions in one course, I should have a way to look at one Discussion, click on one group at a time, display (i.e. read) their post, then easily click on the next group to read their post to the same Discussion.
- Thanks for any direction