Convert custom CSS/JavaScript to browser extensions?

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

In my district we have ongoing discussions about how much to customize our CSS and JavaScript. Some of us have concerns about the risk of breaking the user interface when Canvas code is updated. On the other hand, the user of browser extensions like Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey allow some of those cool add-ons by the awesome Canvas developer community to be used.

My question is if there is an easy way to convert customized JavaScript or CSS into a script for a browser extension. The comments in the discussion TamperMonkey-GreaseMonkey-Postman Tutorial offer a sobering assessment of the future of CSS and JavaScript customization, so it would be great if there is a way to take those same features (like Improve Threaded Discussions with CSS) and add those to a browser extension that any user can access instead of asking our hardworking sysadmins to add custom script maintenance to their task list.

While I understand the benefit of saving non-developer users from having to do things like install browser extensions, I also like how empowered they feel when they realize they have more control over their Canvas experience.