AnsweredAssumed Answered

Roll Call Attendance - Absences/Tardies as Penalty

Question asked by Michael J Barnes on Oct 27, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 by Brett Sellars

First a little background:  I'm wading through waters trying to find answers as I'm part of a testing group our university is in the process of converting to Canvas from Blackboard.  I'm also writing a journal of the experience to encourage faculty before the total conversion.  Thus, I am posting a few more questions than the average person.  

First of all, THANK GOD FOR THE ATTENDANCE FUNCTION.  I've bemoaned the lack of this in Blackboard forever.  I had this function in a standalone gradebook program 20 years ago and could never understand why Bb didn't have it--especially since they bought the company that made that software. 

So, the way I have handled attendance in the past (I've worked in a few departments where this is a departmental policy) is that students are allowed a specified number of absences and a specified number of tardies equals an absence. After that, they receive a percentage deduction from their final grade for every subsequent absence.   (ex:  If two absences are allowed, the final grade would drop 10% with three absences, 20% with four, etc.)

For those of us who teach studio-based classes where attendance is mandatory, we expect a certain percentage of time in class before a penalty occurs, which means we tend to think of lack of attendance needing penalization.

Can anyone offer a way in which I can set up Canvas to use the percentage basis of the Roll Call (I'm guessing it will be using the weighting function) so that it could have the same outcome? 

Outcomes