Jordan Samsonas

Manually assigned "missing" status does not transfer to "message students who haven't submitted yet"

Discussion created by Jordan Samsonas on Nov 19, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 by Erin Hallmark

[Introduction to bug, if necessary here]

Description of the Bug:

• When I manually assign a "missing" status to a student's assignment and then message students who haven't submitted, the student I manually assigned the "missing" status to is not included in the list of people who haven't submitted.  Similarly, when I manually eliminate the missing status for a student, the student still shows up in the "message student who haven't submitted" list.
  • I have a student who has a concussion and is not able to do her work electronically.  She has submitted paper copies of her work.  Since she is not turning in a digital copy of the assignment, Canvas marks it as missing.  I, however, undo the "missing" status.  When I attempt to message students who haven't turned in the assignment, she still shows up in the list.
  • Similarly, I had students submit a Google doc with me via shareable link.  Some did not give me access to the document.  I thus want to mark the assignments as "missing" and send them a message (along with everyone else who didn't submit the assignment).  When I attempt to message students who haven't submitted, it doesn't include the students that I manually designated as "missing".

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Manually assign a student a missing grade.
  2. Select "message students who" and then select "haven't submitted".
  3. Notice that the student for whom you assigned the "missing" status is not included in the list of students to message.

Outcomes