ELIZABETH BOWDEN

Usability/UX Group Interest?

Discussion created by ELIZABETH BOWDEN on Dec 7, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 by Eric Werth

Would anyone else be interested in joining a new group about usability (aka UX aka User Experience) in course, page and lesson design?

I'm not sure "usability" is the best term, but we could discuss that, too. What it's about is how to make it easier for all students to read, interact, find information, etc. in everything we design. 

For example, I've been following the Nielsen Norman Group for over a decade. I believe there is a lot of useful information in one of their recent articles that applies to *everyone*. Text layout with images seems simple until you read what they've discovered in their recent studies about how people see/read online.

Zigzag Image–Text Layouts Make Scanning Less Efficient

"Users optimize scanning patterns to the task at hand and spend the minimum effort (i.e., fixations) to achieve their goals.  As soon as people have determined that images aren't valuable for their task, they will start avoiding them. (This scanning pattern where the eyes go around unhelpful images is called “images as obstacle course,” because users must work around the pictures to get to the meaningful text on the page.)"

Outcomes