AnsweredAssumed Answered

SPECS grading in Canvas

Question asked by Ronald Ruiz on Dec 8, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 by James Jones

I want to adopt SPECS grading in my online Canvas courses. This means ALL assignments in the course are graded on a Pass-Fail basis.

I will include Discussion posts, Optional Chapter quizzes, Tests, and a comprehensive Final exam in my online courses. Below are the criteria for each assignment. I will also include assignments from Cengage Publishing's "MindTap" program.  Each of the MindTap assignments include either reading a page of material OR watching a video and answering 5 multiple choice questions.

Assignments:

I. Discussion Posts: A Passing grade (P) will be delivered when the student:

i.  Submits BOTH an Original Post and a Response post.

ii. The Original post must address all questions in the Discussion Post assignment

iii. The Response post must address issues raised by another student's Original post.

iv. Each post must have a minimum of 15 sentences

v. Each post must have a minimum of 4 words per sentence.

vi. No quotes are allowed (must paraphrase instead).

vii. Each post must have all sentences numbered.

*Anything less than the above results in a Failing grade (F).

II. Optional Chapter quizzes consist of 20 multiple choice questions. Pass = a minimum of 18 questions correctly; Fail = 17 questions or less are answered correctly

III. Tests: Required assignments with 45 multiple choice questions, covering 1-3 chapters. Pass = a minimum of 35 questions correctly; Fail = 34 questions or less answered correctly

IV. Final Exam: Required and comprehensive test with 100 multiple choice questions. Pass = a minimum of 78 questions correctly; Fail = 77 questions or less answered correctly

V. MindTap assignments: Read a page of online material OR watch a video and answering 5 multiple choice questions: Pass = all 5 questions answered correctly; Fail = 4 questions or less answered correctly

Two Questions:

A. I want the Canvas gradebook to convert all of the above numerical grades (in tests, chapter quizzes, final exam, and MindTap assignments) to letter grades (P or F). How do I accomplish this? Via a grading rubric?

B. I want to include a grading rubric with the Discussion Post assignments, but the grades must be letter as well (P or F). How do I accomplish this when including the criteria (i-vii) above? 

Thanks!

Outcomes