AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I get the submitted assignments to display as 0 in downloaded csv files?

Question asked by YUYEN CHANG on Jan 8, 2018
Latest reply on May 30, 2018 by rogrant@nmsu.edu

We have a course with 60+ instructors giving lectures on 70+ topics. The instructors don't always stay on top of grading, so most of the students' text submissions will remain as a "T" in the grade book for the entire semester until all the instructors have finished grading at the end of the course. In the past when we used Moodle, I could download a course activity report, which would treat an ungraded submission as a 0 in the csv file. This doesn't appear to be the case with Canvas. The csv file downloaded from Canvas did not show the submitted assignments as "T" or "0", but left them blank, as if there had never been any submission.

We usually send out a reminder mid-term to all the students who are falling behind. It's a 4-month course, entirely online and asynchronous. Our students are free to choose whichever topics they are interested in, as long as their total points earned at the end of the course meet the minimum required for their credit load. So the "email all the students who have not submitted this assignment" function won't really help me here. What I really need is for the "T" (submitted assignment) to show up as something other than blanks in the csv, so I can easily distinguish them from the blanks (no submissions at all) and tally up the total submissions each student has made. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Outcomes