Learning to brand

george_bradford
Community Novice

Hello,

I'm new to Canvas, and I'm working to learn how to correctly use local branding approaches, as I build a test course to help my argument to switch my institution from a very old LMS environment to Canvas. Any help you all can provide will help this cause (if I present a sample course with our institution's look and feel, they will be more amenable to moving to the platform...).

In reading the documentation, I noted a line that 2 week and teacher trial accounts will not allow branding. I have access to a small Canvas instance that is being used in one of the sister colleges (not my institution) that I am using to experiment, but we don't want to risk any problems with their account by branding. Therefore I have tried using the beta account, but nothing seems to work when I make adjustments to the CSS override file.

Can anyone verify if branding adjustments should or should not work in beta accounts?

My next question is regarding the safety of sub-account branding. If it's possible to permit sub account branding, will changes made to that account affect any of the other accounts (is there any risk)?

If sub account branding is the way I need to go to complete this experiment, does anyone have any tips I need to keep in mind? For example, I watched a 2013 video demo of branding by Instructure, and the presenter flies through posting a link to his override CSS file in dropbox (I am placing mine in a publicly available Google Drive folder) and then drops the file name of the logo as only a local file without the complete URL into the CSS file.

Does providing the link to where the CSS file is being stored thereafter function as the path that other files may be accessed (if they are in the same folder) from? Or do I need to provide the complete URL to that logo (even though it's in the same folder as the CSS file)?

Thank you for any help or advice you can provide.

-George

0 Likes