JAMES SHELDON

A tip on not embarrasing yourself by sending e-mail to previous year's class

Discussion created by JAMES SHELDON on Feb 5, 2018

Actually, the title is a "tip" and also a discussion point.

A) I was in a hurry, it is COLD out! we had an "ice event" over the evening and college had been called off and I had just brewed my "cuppa morning joe" and wanted to send off a follow up message about a file that i had uploaded previously.

Well, yeah....the previous year classes are ......labeled that....but they are also the FIRST ONES in the dahsboard... remember I needed a cuppa coffee..

BUT....I did NOT click the previous class I clicked the correct class and did an announcement.  Then I went to e-mail...

And because ....well that really is the way that it kinda has to be done.... i mean it is code and things have to be uniform in the naming systems I chose the PREVIOUS class NOBODY to fault but myself, and I sent off an e-mail...

Fortunately, about a half hour later a student from said class jokingly informed of my rather "freshman" mistake! lol

But one problem is that when one is going to send an e-mail, at least for this college that what one SEES....is a very long class descriptor which really IS a good descriptor but .....the semester and year are at the very end and ....one has to WAIT one has to actually hover for a while.... to get the full descriptor informational popup to appear...and I was drinking coffee...

So...I sat down to FINALLY figure out how to MAKE SURE THAT NO MATTER WHAT I would be SURE that I was e-mailing the correct class with NO HASSLE...

a) One cannot MOVE the previous class down or over on the Dashboard page it is just stuck.

b) one can change the pic and one can change the overlay....ok maybe I should have done that before but it doesn't FIX the problem in sending the e-mail.

c) one CAN change the title that ONE SEES...not the official title.....

So.... ONE FIX, I am sure there are others to be forthcoming.

IN DASHBOARD click the THREE VERTICAL DOTS on the top right of the "card" of the previous class and

IN THE NICKNAME BOX..... ....add in...something like the words "previous 17 class".

i) it appears in the box describing the class on the class card.

ii) go to e-mail to send an e-mail and one sees the nickname ahead of the official descriptor.

So....a SIMPLE and OVERDUE fix for a simple minded guy ....

I am sure that there are much smarter people here who will post better fixes ...

B) discussion point....i don't know that there really is a fix needed for this except some kind of ....dunno..... comprehensive instructional thing.....

But.... kind of like Microsoft's(tm) first  Powerpoint(tm) booklet which really was a kind of "hurry up, lets get this out there" put out an instruction manual that was about...really.... a quarter of an inch thick.... lol

Canvas really is an EVOLVING app and so what would have been good a year ago might not be so good in terms of an instructional thing ...except....

maybe there could be an obvious "button" on the generic Canvas site that the college puts up which would lead here and HERE have a whole new "sub-site" with maybe "community voted "best tricks and tips" "  for people to just....peruse kind of like wandering in the library....I mean....really....I rally DO think that probably "most of the contributors for Canvas" probably spend a lot of our undergrad hours "wandering in the stacks"...lol..

I am on several other fora and the best of them usually have a "viewable" archive...the threads are locked....the archive usually being of threads which have had a certain minimum number of "views" not necessarily "new posts" because a worthwhile post usually then only gets a "I used it" post"..And sometimes the title has been adjusted to better convey the idea of the thread... unfortunately this would further strain the already overstretched good folks here at Canvas...just a thought. of little worth.

and again, if there are any questions, please ask.

james

Outcomes