Paige Case

Printing Feedback in SpeedGrader

Discussion created by Paige Case on Mar 8, 2018
Latest reply on May 16, 2018 by Carol Bailey

I do not have time to follow discussions as closely as I would like, so if this question is addressed elsewhere, I apologize.

I am glad to see the transparent background that is now available in SpeedGrader. I would like to have more control over the size and shape of a text box; maybe that feature will come next.  I realize I basically want Canvas to recreate Croc-o-Doc (not sure how to spell that).  

As much as I appreciate that Canvas has addressed many concerns, I simply cannot use the SpeedGrader until students are able to print my feedback.  I do not understand giving students the capability to download a printable pdf that does not show my comments unless the student happens to scroll over the comment. The comment disappears as soon as the mouse moves to another area. If a student were to print the pdf, he or she would basically print the original paper.  Again, what is the point of having a print feedback feature that does not show the feedback?

I am the lead teacher for remedial English at my college, and I require students to print my feedback and revise/proofread their rough drafts from that printed copy.  Yes, they are more tech-savvy than I will ever be, but I still want to implement a few old-school strategies that I fully believe will help them.  Working from printed copies (a strategy our textbook recommends, by the way) helps them, at least in part, make better revisions and catch potential errors.

Outcomes