I would like to check for understanding during my lessons. I know there are a lot of external tools that let you create polls, quizzes,... but I wonder if people have used Canvas quizzes for that. Students can use the Canvas mobile app.
I think that using quizzes in Canvas has some advantages:
- All results are stored into the Canvas courses
- Teachers don't need to learn a new tool
- Creating a quiz in Canvas is very easy and quick (less then a minute)
- Students can easily answer the quizzes with the Canvas student app
- Teachers can present the quiz results during class (polls can be anonymous)
- Teacher can analyse the results afterwards and give students extra feedback
There are also a few disadvantages
- A teacher can only see the results if the student submitted the quiz
- Solution: Keep quizzes very short (1 question / quiz)
- Not all question types run native in the Canvas student app (Quizzes can be viewed natively for an enhanced user experience, with the exception of quizzes that contain Fill-in-Multiple-Blanks or Formula questions)
- Solution: Don't use these question types :-)
What do you think? Have you used quizzes during lesson time to check your students understanding?