AnsweredAssumed Answered

In-class group work using Google Docs

Question asked by Laura Carpenter on Mar 13, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 by rogrant@nmsu.edu

Hello,

I often use the Google Drive feature to post a Google Doc in Canvas that I want small groups of students (not always the same groups) to work on together in class and then submit for participation points.  There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.  Currently the students must create a copy of the Doc I gave them, work on it as a group, then 1 student copy/pastes their answers into the Doc in Canvas and submits it.  Many times students either can't or won't do this and instead share their Google Doc with me, which results in lots of emails and headaches for me trying to keep it all straight.

Am I better off to not use Docs within Canvas and just share the Doc with them?  The problem there is that when they submit a hyperlink to the Doc and I try to open it in SpeedGrader, I find that I have to request permission to view the Doc.  Sure I could email and request access, but it's a hassle when I just need to quickly view the Doc and get my grading done.

Thank you for any advice.  This is my first time posting here, so please advise if there is a better way/space to ask these questions.

Outcomes