Changes to the Teacher app to make rubrics work more consistently
Describe your mobile idea.
- Load dashboard and to-do lists faster. (I sometimes get a notification that there's something to grade in to-do and it takes minutes for the item itself to show up)
- On the rubrics, arrange grade categories from highest (left) to lowest (right), to match the Canvas desktop experience
- Have option to expand all descriptions at once - e.g., to change from the "dots with point values" view into "rows with full criteria descriptions." This would be a mobile-friendly view of a grid-based rubric, essentially listing each rating column vertically, perhaps like this:
Rating Points Excellent - All items complete; extra polish; sprinkles on top 5 Satisfactory - All items complete 3 Unsatisfactory - Incomplete 1
How will this mobile idea benefit Canvas users?
In our school, rubrics are mostly used to assess student performance on clinical tasks - observational assessments, not assessments of submitted works. We have many faculty grading each assignment, so there is a strong need for them to see the rating descriptions (which will hopefully improve inter-rater reliability). They may also need to move back and forth between browser- and app-based grading. So it's very important that the two formats mirror each other as much as possible.
Share a use case.
Student A has completed her clinical case. Grader Q pulls out her phone, opens the Canvas Teacher app, and IMMEDIATELY (not after 10 seconds) sees her list of courses. She navigates to the correct course/assignment/student and swipes up to see the grading rubric. She taps the "Expand all" button and now sees the rubric as a modified grid, with all descriptions written out in full. The "top level" rating is listed at the top or left of each list, just like on the browser-based view. She taps each criteria she wants to select, then clicks "Done."
- Please select from one or more categories below.
- DO NOT delete 'cmug mobile idea' tag, but add your own, including Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, or Canvas Parent.