Gerald Q. Maguire

Persistent courses or what to do when courses do not end

Discussion created by Gerald Q. Maguire on Mar 31, 2018
Latest reply on May 3, 2018 by Larry Turner

I wonder what others are doing about courses that do not have a defined endpoint. For example, consider a course for students doing a thesis project. In this course there are students that can be in the course for (potentially) many years.

One possibility I have looked at is moving the students who complete the course in a given year to a section of students who completed in year YYYY. This makes it possible to preserve the gradebook entries, assignments, etc. (for example, for evaluations by the national education agency that does evaluations on a multi year cycle). However, this has some scaling problems. (With regard to scale, there are hundreds of students starting such courses each year.)

Some alternatives that I see are (1) to create a new course each year and re-enroll the students who did not complete during the previous year in this new course; however, this means their results will be scattered over several courses or (2) utilize some means to copy and archive all the material for students who have completed the course. [Note that this material needs to be preserved for at least one evaluation cycle, since one of the things that the evaluation will look at is the quality control procedures in the course. So despite the introduction of GDPR (Information on the GDPR )  the 

records cannot simply be deleted when the student completes the course.]

Does anyone have any experience with such long lived courses?

Outcomes