AnsweredAssumed Answered

Incomplete students remove from original section?

Question asked by ccalderon@ewu.edu on Jun 15, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 by Amy Stuart

This really isn't a question - just more of an FYI we ran into today. I would have posted on the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-05-16) but they are closed for comments.

Anyway - this is regarding the release note items about the Fix for Course Enrollments:

Multiple Sections in Course List

If a user is enrolled in more than one section in a course, only one enrollment appears in the course list.

Explanation: When a user was enrolled in more than one section in a course, such as an instructor being enrolled in all course sections, the Courses page displayed links for all section enrollments. This behavior occurred because the code was set to display all enrollments. Canvas code has been updated to combine multiple enrollments into one listing by course and user type.

The fix is awesome - but there is a side effect of this that causes some strange behavior - a student was unable to complete her coursework during the Winter 2015 quarter, thus was placed in an extended Incomplete section. Closed assignments were given separate due dates for her. However, as she has began participating in the extended section, Canvas began submitting assignments automatically for her, and she was been unable to participate in these items.

I created a ticket, on which I received a very quick response -

It seems this has changed rather recently, per the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-05-16) multiple sections within a course no longer appear as separate enrollments which is why students were able to access the course before sections were merged in student's enrollments. Now if a student has multiple sections within a course their end date will be determined by whichever section concludes first.

It has not been our practice to remove the Incomplete student from the original section - but we will need to do so going forward. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

Outcomes