Layne Heiny

Spreading the love

Discussion created by Layne Heiny on May 19, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2018 by Larry Turner

My district has been using Haiku (Pearson Learning) for years but I became disenchanted with the poor randomization of quiz questions, therefore, for three years I used Schoology. For the past two months, I’ve been trying Canvas. The district is considering Canvas but many teachers are anxious to get started now — as summer break begins and the teachers can plan for next year. 

The challenge for other teachers to migrating to Canvas is the lack of a working export at the course level. I’d like to share my workaround. FWIW, I’m a teacher and not part of the district tech support. 

First, the teacher shares their class with me. I make a copy of the class in a free Haiku version. This exporter works (our district’s does not) and so I use the common cartridge version 1 export. Versions 2 and 3 fail. Finally, I import the downloaded export of the Haiku class into a new Canvas course. The teacher does cleanup and the love has been shared. 

Completed exports included a teacher with over 179 pages of daily quizzes — 20 per page — and  223 pages of question banks. As of today, half the science department has been moved and several math and English teachers have started. 

Let’s hope our district gets the message. Today would be a great day for our district to start using Canvas. 

Regardless, I’d love to read about how others shared their love. 

Outcomes