Rebekka Helga Aðalsteinsdóttir

CSV issue

Discussion created by Rebekka Helga Aðalsteinsdóttir on May 17, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2018 by Birger Eriksson

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you had been notified that there is a sort-of-half-way-there solution to the comma-vs-semicolon issue on the beta environment since last Monday. I have tested it and even though it might help some institutions it is not sufficient for ours.

They now have an option in the user settings to have the gradebook export include a BOM which keeps the character encoding correct so you would have your Æ, Ø and Å intact. It also now has a setting so that you can use a semicolon as a separator in the gradebook export. I have asked and neither of those setting can be made default for all users in an account.

You would think this solves all (or most ) our problems. Well it does not, if you include a bom and use the semicolon as a separator the file will open in Excel as it should - BUT if you want to use it to change the grading and upload it to Canvas again you will run into some major problems...

It seems that Excel isn't really good at handling CSV files. What happens is that excel recognizes the file as a text file and not a CSV file and for some idiotic reason decides to use tab as a seperator when you try to save it again. Therefor you can not upload it to Canvas again without replacing the tab with a semicolon... This is a known issue in Excel even though I have never experienced it before.

I just wanted to let you know and if anyone has a brilliant idea to share on how to work around that it would be greatly appreciated. 

Outcomes