AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why am I getting an extra credit warning about Outcomes in SpeedGrader?

Question asked by Danielle Casey on May 22, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2018 by Danielle Casey

I present, a mystery.  One of our instructors called us about a 'weird pop-up' in SpeedGrader that she's never gotten before (she's taught this same course via Canvas for an eon and a half and hasn't changed anything); it specifically happens when she first clicks a student's name and has the rubric open.  The pop-up is there for a moment, then disappears.  Here's what one looks like ('5. Correct Sentences' is the Outcome title):

Error reads "Extra credit not permitted on outcomes, score adjusted to maximum possible for 5. Correct Sentences"

Seems pretty straightforward right?  Except she's not trying to input extra credit, she's not even putting in a decimal 'in-between boxes' score.  Each Outcome has a total of 6 possible points with mastery at 5, so I thought maybe it was giving that error for anything over the mastery value, but no, this error shows up for values below 5.  The issue isn't with the point value for the assignment itself, either.

Stranger still, it doesn't look like this is actually doing anything, as in, it isn't actually adjusting the score at all.  But she's getting tons of these pop-ups, like a full-on list of them per student.  She isn't concerned about it, because she can see that her grades are still as she's inputted them, but I can absolutely see an instructor that's new to Canvas panicking about this issue.  I played around with it in our test environment and was unable to find anything but more confusion.

So, has anyone else encountered this before?  What's causing it?  I looked and looked for an answer, but I've been unable to find one here.  Any help is appreciated!

All the best,
Danielle

Outcomes