AnsweredAssumed Answered

Declutter gradebook of peer review assignments that do not count toward the final grade?

Question asked by Wallace Kelly on May 28, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 7, 2018 by JENNA TOWNSEND

One of my favorite features of Canvas is the peer-review feature. I use the peer-review feature to build community between the students, to encourage excellence, and to provide another way for the students to interact with the material. The students upload their work; they can see each others' work and comment on it. I do not use the peer-review feature to grade assignments. I do not need to assign a grade for these peer-reviewed assignments. (As a side note, I use the unrelated prerequisites feature to require students to complete the ungraded, peer-reviewed assignment.)

Because of the way I would like to use the peer-review feature, I have a minor issue.

Here is what I am doing:

In order to use the peer-review feature, I am creating an assignment, requiring a file upload.

• I set the points to zero.
  • I would like to set the "Display Grade as" option to "Not graded." But, then I cannot require peer-review.
  • Instead, I set the "Display Grade as" option to "Complete/Incomplete". This enables the peer-review option.
  • I click the "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade."
  • I then click on "Require peer reviews"

Here is the issue I have:

• The grade book is cluttered with multiple assignments, worth zero points, that do not count towards the final grade.

Here is my question:

• Is there a way to use the peer-review feature without there being a column generated (for zero-point assignments that do not count towards the final grade) in the grade book?

Outcomes