Larry Turner

One-on-One vs. Group Training

Discussion created by Larry Turner on Jun 1, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 by Christine Blanos

This is very similar to a few of my other rants, only now I have a recent story to share.

I was on campus for one week to offer training, otherwise I work remotely from another state. My VP and I agreed to have one afternoon group-training session (for two hours) and then every day afterwards, faculty could sign up for one-on-one, hour-long sessions where they could ask me anything.

The 2-hour group training was almost a joke. There were a few that seemed to only want to chase random subjects down rabbit holes...repeatedly, while others already had experience with an LMS, and then there were my absolute beginners. I typically enjoy a group training when it's short and the faculty are well-behaved, but I struggled with this one, and that hasn't happened in a long time.

The one-on-one's were phenomenal. So many great questions were raised, I pointed most of them to the Canvas Community pages and showed them how simple searching was, and I felt like I was able to meet each of them where they were at. I really believe that last sentence is grammatically correct even though it ended with "at." 

I enjoy group trainings because you can cover a lot of specifics at once and show new concepts and set standards, but I feel as if I always gain more traction when I'm able to sit down individually with faculty (or even small groups or department trainings).

What are your results...and stories?

Outcomes