Missing assignments option

Jump to solution
adammath
Community Member

I'm having a problem with the "automatically apply a grade for missing submissions" option. I have assignments' grades come into Canvas from a third party tool (Cengage/WebAssign). However, any missing assignments are not being flagged as missing, nor being given the grade that I set (0% in this case).

Anyone see something similar, or have a suggestion on how to fix this?

(apologies if this is posted in the wrong place - I'm new here!)

1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Adam,

I checked on the status of our last response and we cannot know if a submission is required from an external tool. Therefore, Canvas does not take any action that could potentially harm students.

With no submission, on paper, and external tool assignments, Canvas does not know if students are supposed to turn in a submission, even if it is intended to be submitted in class. Only the online assignment type can determine the receipt of student submissions.

The three non-supported assignment types can be manually set to missing, but the status won't be changed automatically. For On Paper or No Submission assignments, you can use the Default Grade option in the grade book to grade assignments, if needed.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post