AnsweredAssumed Answered

Annotate RTF in SpeedGrader?

Question asked by Aaron Bahmer on Jun 5, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 5, 2018 by Aaron Bahmer

We're new to Canvas and I just had a faculty member show me a message in SpeedGrader that "annotations are not available for this document." The file type submitted is RTF and was submitted yesterday morning.

Is the documentation correct, then?

This article says SpeedGrader uses the Canvas DocViewer: How do I add annotated comments in student submissions using DocViewer in SpeedGrader? and includes a warning that if "...submission preview is not yet complete, Canvas will generate a message stating the document is still processing."

That document links to this article listing the file types that DocViewer renders: What types of files can be previewed in Canvas? and includes a more defining statement about how long it might take to process a document: "SpeedGrader may take up to ten minutes after an assignment is submitted to display a document that supports DocViewer."

I see that DocViewer can render .rtf (which it does!) and it's been over 24 hours since submission, so why can't SpeedGrader provide annotations for this document?

Outcomes