SAMPLE QUERIES

Jump to solution
mgunkel
Community Novice

Could people post sample SQL they are using and short description of what it pulls?

1 Solution

Hi Matt, I realize this is an old post but I just came across it and wanted to see if I could help, if you haven't already solved it.   When trying to match Redshift to the Canvas Analytics numbers, have you tried limiting your data by the workflow_state for both the item that you are trying to count (assignments, discussions, etc) and for the courses in the account?

By selecting data from course_dim with a workflow_state of either 'active' or 'completed' and then finding the right combinations of the workflow_state's of the other dimension tables, I have some queries that seem to work for me.  I have only tested this on a few accounts, but when I did my query results matched the numbers returned in a Canvas Analytics API call.

My queries are below. I have union-ed them here to simplify testing, they just need the canvas id's for a term and an account.  It should return number of Courses, Subaccounts, Students, Teachers, Discussion Topics, and Assignments in an Account.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SELECT 'courses' AS item, COUNT(DISTINCT id)

FROM course_dim

WHERE enrollment_term_id IN (SELECT id FROM enrollment_term_dim WHERE canvas_id = [TERM CANVAS ID])

AND account_id IN (SELECT id FROM account_dim WHERE canvas_id = [ACCOUNT CANVAS ID] OR parent_account_id = [ACCOUNT CANVAS ID] )

AND workflow_state IN ('available', 'completed')

UNION ALL

SELECT 'subaccounts' AS item, COUNT(DISTINCT id)

FROM account_dim

WHERE parent_account_id = [ACCOUNT CANVAS ID]

UNION ALL

SELECT CASE WHEN d.type LIKE 'StudentEnrollment' THEN 'students' WHEN d.type LIKE 'TeacherEnrollment' THEN 'teachers' END AS item, COUNT(DISTINCT user_id)

FROM enrollment_dim AS d JOIN enrollment_fact AS f ON (d.id = f.enrollment_id)

WHERE type IN ('StudentEnrollment','TeacherEnrollment')

AND workflow_state IN ('active','completed')

AND f.course_id IN

SELECT DISTINCT id

FROM course_dim

WHERE enrollment_term_id IN (SELECT id FROM enrollment_term_dim WHERE canvas_id = [TERM CANVAS ID] )

AND account_id IN (SELECT id FROM account_dim WHERE canvas_id = [ACCOUNT CANVAS ID] OR parent_account_id = [ACCOUNT CANVAS ID] )

AND workflow_state IN ('available','completed')

)

GROUP BY d.type

UNION ALL

SELECT 'discussion_topics' AS item, COUNT(DISTINCT d.id)

FROM discussion_topic_dim AS d JOIN discussion_topic_fact AS f ON (d.id = f.discussion_topic_id)

WHERE workflow_state <> 'deleted'

AND f.course_id IN

(  SELECT DISTINCT id

FROM course_dim

WHERE enrollment_term_id IN (SELECT id FROM enrollment_term_dim WHERE canvas_id = [TERM CANVAS ID] )

AND workflow_state IN ('available','completed'))

UNION ALL

SELECT 'assignments' AS item, count(distinct d.id)

FROM assignment_dim AS d JOIN assignment_fact AS f ON (d.id = f.assignment_id)

WHERE workflow_state <> 'deleted'

AND f.course_id IN

(  SELECT DISTINCT id

FROM course_dim

AND workflow_state IN ('available','completed'));

View solution in original post