David Iverson

Unintentional Reload with Chrome/MacBook touch bar

Discussion created by David Iverson on Jul 6, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 6, 2018 by 925024864

This is not a Canvas issue, but it effected me when I was using Canvas.

This will effect predominately STEM teachers interacting with Canvas through a Chrome web-browser on a MacBook with a touch bar.

Problem:  After working for 15 minutes building an assignment in Canvas, suddenly the screen blinks and all my work is obliterated!?!?!
Reason for problem:  One feature of the new MacBooks is the "touch bar" at the top.  And one feature of the Chrome web-browser is that there is a "reload" key on the touch bar, just above the 3 on the keyboard.  If a bit of my finger went above the 3 key when I was typing, it would slightly brush against the reload key on the touch bar.  Chrome would reload my Canvas page, thus wiping out my work.
Fix:  remove Chrome keys from the touch bar.  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/7570714?hl=en
There's a trick that's clear in the instructions, but that took me a while to figure out.  You move your cursor BEYOND the bottom of the screen and you'll see a key in your touch bar becomes highlighted.  Click and drag up and it will be removed from the touch bar.  I just removed all the Chrome keys from the touch bar to avoid any future problems.
Hope this helps somebody out of a frustrating situation.

Outcomes