Can you set up anonymous discussion posting?

Jump to solution
mkiser
Community Novice

Can you set up anonymous discussion posting?

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening,  @mkiser  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I searched the Community, and I don't believe this is possible.  I am basing this on a Feature Idea that I found called https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1117-anonymous-discussion-forums" modifiedtitle="true" title="....  You'll notice that this Feature Idea is currently on Instructure's "Product Radar" stage...which means they are aware of the need, but they might not be able to get something developed in the near future.  If you feel that the Feature Idea I've linked to is similar to what you are wanting to see in Canvas, I would encourage you to vote on that idea and even consider adding a comment to the bottom of that thread as to why it is important to you.  The folks at Instructure do read your comments, so it would be helpful to them if you wanted to post a comment there.  I know the above information may not directly answer your question, but I hope it helps somewhat.

View solution in original post

@MoK ...

Stefanie has retired, so you won't be hearing from her any longer in the Canvas Community.

I'd encourage you to speak with Hofstra University's Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Learning team about this.  The anonymous discussions are part of the Discussions Redesign ... which may not yet be enabled at Hofstra.  (Your Canvas team would know for sure.)  There is a Guide available here in the Community that describes how anonymous discussions work:

How do I allow students to create anonymous course discussions?

This is the Guide on how to turn the Discussions Redesign on in your course...if it's available to you:

How do I use Discussions Redesign as an instructor?

Essentially, at an admin level, there are four "states" that the feature can be turned on in courses:

• off by default for everyone at your school
  • on by default for everyone at the course level with the option to turn it off per course
  • off by default for everyone at the course level with the option to turn it on per course
  • on by default for everyone at your school

Again, have some conversations at your school about the possibility of turning on the "Discussions/Announcements Redesign" Feature Option at the Canvas account level.  They may already have plans in place to do this.

Good luck to you!

View solution in original post