AnsweredAssumed Answered

How does Canvas handle .csv imported grades?

Question asked by Michael Barbour on Aug 20, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 by Michael Barbour

So I have reviewed the guide at How do I upload changes to the Gradebook? and I have some questions.

We'd discovered that Canvas uses an international alpha-numeric sorting, while most other tools use a standard alpha-numeric sorting.  What this means is that students could be listed differently in an exam program compared to how they are listed in Canvas.  For example, you could have:

Exam program

David BARBOUR

Michael BARBOUR

Lisa BARBOUR BEST

Canvas

Lisa BARBOUR BEST

David BARBOUR

Michael BARBOUR

Now say I want to upload some scores into Canvas that are based on the sum of two values: an individual score from an exam program, and a team score entered by hand.  So those calculated grades are currently residing in an Excel sheet.

If I were to download the .csv file from the exam program (with the students in the order listed above), when I upload that .csv file into Canvas how does it import the information?

For example, does it import the grades based on the order that is presented in the .csv file (which would mean that those three students would get an incorrect grade because they are out of sequence)?

OR does Canvas compare the any of the following and then align the grades based on this data during the import?

• Student Name
  • Student ID
  • SIS User ID (only required if you use SIS)
  • SIS Login ID (only required if you use SIS)

Thanks in advance!

MKB

Outcomes