AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Default" Term Dates

Question asked by Nancy Latimer on Aug 25, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2018 by Kelley L. Meeusen

We are a high school that is integrated with PowerSchool. We have imported our terms for the upcoming school year with no problem - with the exception of the "Default" term.  Our current default term is set to run as follows:

Term Runs from Sep 5, 2017 at 12am to Aug 30 at 12am

Note the dates are from 2017. Can someone tell me where Canvas gets the default term dates from...do they come from PowerSchool somewhere (I am not the PowerSchool person at my school)?

Many of my teachers create courses manually as "sandboxes" which they then copy into their "real" PowerSchool courses when they become available in Canvas toward the end of the summer. Those manually-created courses automatically have the "Default" term attached to them. The problem then becomes if you try to create an assignment with a due date after the end date above, Canvas issues an error message.

Of course, for us, the term hasn't even begun at this point.

It is my understanding that we cannot change the "Term Runs from" dates without breaking the PowerSchool/Canvas terms connection. We can change the access dates for Teachers, Students, etc. I tried that, but still get the error message if I try setting the due date for an assignment to a date after the default term end of 8/30.

I do not want to instruct teachers to change the Start/End dates for courses in this scenario, as it is something that I want to avoid becoming a habit because of our PowerSchool integration and the automatic setup of course terms. I am wondering what will happen to my default term once we reach August 31 of this year. Bottom line, where is it getting these dates from is what I am trying to figure out.

Outcomes