AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can Canvas be used to create a confidential survey?

Question asked by Reuel Smith on Sep 12, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 12, 2018 by Kelley L. Meeusen

I'm teaching a "flipped classroom" course in which each assigned reading is nicely compartmentalized into 8 or 9 sections. What I'd like is the capability to upload a survey each time a reading is assigned. The survey would have response text boxes corresponding to each of the 8 or 9 reading sections, with the response prompt each time being something like "Please list any questions you have about this section of the reading. Be as specific as possible." The first thing I need is for the individual responses to be viewable only by me, not by any student other than the one that submitted them— this is the confidentiality piece. The second thing I need is for all the responses to one prompt to be listed together under the prompt, so that I can quickly see what questions the class had about each individual topic. I would want to be able to print the responses out organized this way also, as I want a hardcopy that I can annotate and use to help me make out my lesson plan for that reading, i.e. help me to prioritize focus on the 8 or 9 sections that is roughly proportional to the number of questions that survey participants wrote in response to that particular survey section prompt.

Note: I suspect I could do this with Survey Monkey but I would prefer to have this survey mechanism be within the Canvas framework if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this,

R. Smith

Outcomes