AnsweredAssumed Answered

My students are taking an open book quiz via Canvas.  It is a 10-item quiz, each item has 4 possible answers, meaning a total of 40 items to read through.  I have several students that are completing the quiz in 1 - 2 minutes.  5 minutes I might believe i

Question asked by Andrea Simpson on Sep 14, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 16, 2018 by Rick Murch-Shafer

My students are taking an open book reading quizzes via Canvas. These are 10-item quizzes, each item has 4 possible answers, meaning a total of 40 items to read through. I have several students that are completing the quiz in 1 - 2 minutes and scoring perfect scores. 5 minutes I might believe (30 seconds per question), if they really understand the material and have read the chapter closely.  So I obviously am wondering if they are cheating by getting the answers from another student who has already taken the quiz.

I have looked at the quiz logs and see where sometimes they answer before they read the question, sometimes they answer 2 questions before ever reading the questions (pictures below).  However, I have also read here that Canvas is not the most specific about how students are moving through the quiz and that it is possible that the time stamps in the log are not accurate.  I'm just trying to figure out what all of this could mean before I call students into my office on this.  Has anyone else dealt with something similar on Canvas?

Outcomes