I have a student who somehow has two accounts and the one (student) they can no longer access.
The second account they can get into is somehow signed in as a teacher.
How do they merge the accounts into one student one?
There is no need to merge a Teacher and Student account in Canvas. Other than the Admin Account role, all rolls are set at the course level. So if a user is enrolled in a course as a Teacher, then they have Teacher rights. If the user is enrolled in a course as a student, they only have student rights in that course.
You can easily switch/change the user's role in a course by following this guide the users How do I edit user roles in a course?
I hope this is helpful,
You'll most likely need your Canvas admin for this one, but here are the steps for you:
1. To change the role of a student in your course go to the "People" tab in course navigation. On the right side of the student whose role you want there will be a 3 dot menu. Click that to open up a dropdown menu and select "Edit Role" from that.That will open up a box with a menu where you can choose the new role.How do I edit user roles in a course?
2. To merge users, first go to the profile page for the student you'd like to merge to. You'll need to copy the string of numbers at the end of the URL after /users/. In this example I'll use myself as the user we want to merge Test Student into.
3. Now that you have this code go to the User Account Details of the student to be merged. And click the "Merge with Another User" link.
4. On that page you'll use that copied user ID to find the user to merge to.
5. On the next page you should see the person to be merged on the left, and the person to be merged to on the right.
The one on the left will be deleted so make sure to double check that it is correct. After you've checked it, go to the bottom of the page and click "Prepare to Merge Users" and then confirm on the next page by clicking "Merge Users".
That should explain it all. If you or your Canvas admin have anymore questions about any part of this please let me know!
Retrieving data ...