How can I see the courses assigned to my main account without seeing every course?

Jump to solution
kedmison
Community Participant

When you look at the sub account, it will show just the courses in that subaccount. Is there a way to view a list of the courses that are attached directly to the main account, and not all courses in the instance?

So, we are testing our SIS integration, and in the process, we uploaded a file that used some invalid sub-account IDs when we were assigning the courses. When you use an invalid subaccount, it attaches the course to your main account. So, now, when we look at the sub-account page, there are 446 courses assigned to our main Canvas account, but there doesn't seem to be a way to look at a list of just those 446 course. When I look to the course page on for the main account, it shows the list of all courses in site, which is about 11,000+ at the moment.

Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 2.24.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 2.25.46 PM.png

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution
pkreemer
Community Participant

Bob, I don't think you can filter the courses down to those in the top-level account. We have only the term and search text to filter with. And I've wanted to get this view that you describe too!

The easiest way I know is to run a Provisioning report for courses. In the report data, all of the top-level courses will have an empty "account_id" value. In those reports the account_id is your sub-account SIS ID.

And with the API you can do a similar check. The courses json data includes an "account_id" which here is the internal Canvas account id (integer) which you can compare with your root Canvas account id.

View solution in original post