Asking users to generate an access token

Jump to solution
gruetzmacherr
Community Novice

Is it acceptable to ask users to generate a Canvas access token and enter it into an application? I'm not asking if it is ideal (over using OAuth2 to request tokens,) but rather if it is "legal" and allowed within Canvas's terms of service.

I was under the impression that it is not permitted by Instructure/Canvas to ask users to enter their access tokens into an application. In fact in the Canvas OAuth documentation it states the following.

For testing your application before you've implemented OAuth, the simplest option is to generate an access token on your user's profile page. Note that asking any other user to manually generate a token and enter it into your application is a violation of Canvas' terms of service. Applications in use by multiple users **MUST* use OAuth to obtain tokens*.

What has me asking this question then, is that I recently came across some of  @James 's work (I'm a big fan, James!) and in his tools he asks users to generate and provide access tokens to use his tools. His work has even been promoted by Instructure/Canvas and featured on CanvasLive showing his due date changing Google Doc spreadsheet, during which they show users how to generate an access token and then enter it into his Google Docs spreadsheet. All of this has left me a bit confused on what is permitted and what is not around this topic.

I have written a few LTI integrations now and have become familiar with the OAuth2 flow to request access tokens. If I am able to legally bypass that for smaller-scale applications/integrations it would certainly change my approach. Up to this point I thought it was illegal for me to request users enter an access token, but it seems to be a somewhat accepted practice.

Thank you,

Raymond

Labels (3)
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@gruetzmacherr , 

I struggled a bit with that myself when I first made the sheets available. Here's what I eventually settled upon, remembering that I'm not a lawyer.

Here's the same text you quoted, with some different highlighting.

Note that asking any other user to manually generate a token and enter it into your application is a violation of Canvas' terms of service. Applications in use by multiple users **MUST* use OAuth to obtain tokens*.

I'm not asking them to enter an access token into my software. The first step of the process is to make a copy of the spreadsheet so that it's theirs. I don't have any access to it at that point. I'm not hosting anything on a server under my control. It's essentially like any PHP, Python, Ruby, Perl, or other open source client (not server) software that they choose to download and install on their own machines. They have to configure it before it will work. My asking them to generate a token is akin to providing instructions on how to configure the software. A slight difference is that the software is hosted by Google rather than being installed on their own local machine.

The Google Sheets are designed to be used by a single user, not by multiple users. If an end user does share it with someone, that person has to generate their own token since they're stored at the user property level and not shared between users.

To go along with what JEFHQ12951 has said, there are several people who have written LTIs for their own institution's use that have higher privileges than the users that are using it. That's required in some cases when you want to make something available to the user that they wouldn't normally have access to, such as who liked what messages in a discussion (that's only available to someone with the ability to masquerade) but I might want to make that information available to the teacher. In that case, using OAuth wouldn't help.

Canvas actually has a page that asks people to store an access token before you can use it. It's in the Live API, found by adding /doc/api/live to the end of your Canvas instance. They don't store that, though, which makes it not at all friendly and unsuited for repeated use like an LTI would. It certainly goes along with the notion of testing and development, but I'm not sure Canvas is bound by their own terms of service. If you know how to do OAuth and have the ability to do so (I'm not running any public servers to authenticate against) then I would recommend it. If your server / software is doing any kind of API call with the credentials of that person, then you should use OAuth. If they're running the software themselves as a single user, then they can choose to put in an access token.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I was raised baptist and was very legalistic in my youth. As I aged, I started reading things more for their intent than what was actually said. I admit I still struggle with things like driving the speed limit on urban interstates or going 15 miles over the posted speed limit to avoid getting plowed into from the rear.

View solution in original post