Matthew Jennings

Customizing the New Gradebook

Discussion created by Matthew Jennings on Nov 13, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 by Matthew Jennings

Hello faithful Canvas Community followers! Like many of you, my university will be flipping the switch to make the New Gradebook into THE Gradebook for everyone. Just to go on record, I love the New Gradebook! However there are a few things I would like to do differently, so I am seeking a help from the community. Here are the two things I am trying to do and wondered if using custom java script would solve these.

Modification #1: Make muted columns easier to identify

Rationale - Having the word muted located on to the right of the score information, limits the ability for faculty to resize the column and still have a quick view of the status of the column. Pop Quiz - Which of these columns is muted?

I think this could be solved in a few ways. One would be to move the "Muted" label from the right side of the score to the left side and maybe have the text in red. The other would me to just bring back the "Bell" icon.

I am pretty sure that custom JavaScript could take whatever is "writing" the word "MUTED" could be modified to place it in the front of the "Out of Score" and maybe even have the color changed with a bit of inline CSS. I am just not sure how to locate and write it. 

Modification #2: Make the Notes column sort-able

Rationale - see the feature idea, Sort Gradebook by Notes Section 

I am very happy to promote and get people to vote on this idea, however I am aware that these things can take time. While we wait on this, I would love to see if it is possible to add a "kabob" menu to the notes column that would give the Sort A-Z & Sort Z-A options similar to all of the other columns have. 

Again, I think that this would be possible with custom JavaScript, but I am just not familiar enough to figure out how to make this a reality.

If anyone could think on these items and is willing to offer suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Outcomes