Blane Carlucci

What Is Best Practice for Rolling Enrollments and Flexible Term Dates?

Discussion created by Blane Carlucci on Dec 21, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2019 by Jennifer Lubkin Chavez

I am interested in gathering some community feedback on the best practice for enrollments that might end later than the specified term date in Canvas. I'll provide our most recent use-case:

This semester term, Fall 2018, ends on December 21. We have roughly 115 courses set to this term. About half of these courses have a variety of different end dates in Maestro (our SIS). Some are partnership schools, others may be students that were added later. Whatever the case, the dates vary between January to May.

Solutions I've come up with thus far:

• Change the course date at the course level, which would require me to go into every course, a tedious manual process, and something I would have to do every term in perpetuity. Problem with this is it restricts all users, not just students. 
  • Use SIS Imports to bulk change course dates at the course level. Same two problems as above.
  • Create multiple terms - for example "Fall 2018 Rolling Enrollments" term - and set the date to the last ending course for the rolling enrollment courses. Over time this would create an absurd amount of terms in Canvas.

The goal is to restrict the students from the courses that have ended, but allow the courses with later end dates to continue, and also allow teachers continued access to their courses for months following an end date. Drop in suggestions for what you may have found to be the best practice for your school. Thanks!

Outcomes