Adding interior borders to a table

Jump to solution
iyen
Community Novice

I am updating a syllabus. I have a word document with a table in it. When I copy the table from Word to Cat Courses, the borders disappear. I can't figure out how to add borders within Cat Courses. I select a row and format the border (dashed) and nothing happens. I did get a dashed border to appear for the border of the entire table. I need borders row by row. Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello,  @iyen  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Attempting to copy a Word document directly into the Canvas Rich Content Editor (RCE) is highly problematic, because Word has proprietary, and frankly rather funky, code that doesn't translate well into the RCE. 

I have several suggestions:

(1) Employ a Word-to-HTML converter such as Word Document to HTML Online Converter . Once the site completes the conversion, you can switch from RCE to HTML Editor view and paste the resultant code directly into the page.

(2) Rather than copying the syllabus, embed it instead. That will completely preserve the formatting of the original Word document and has the added advantage of allowing the students to download the document directly from the page. You'll see that described in How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for files using the Rich Content Editor as an instruct...

(3) My last suggestion—and the least favorite as it is by far the most time-consuming—is to copy the syllabus into the RCE, use the Ix function on the ribbon to remove all of the formatting, and reformat it in the RCE using the native tools.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post