AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why does my file preview change to a link.placeholder URL within a quiz?

Question asked by perryyee@uw.edu on Aug 3, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 by perryyee@uw.edu

Hi all,

Hoping someone could help me answer this particular question. I'm currently running an online workshop and have included a self-assessment quiz for my students. Within this quiz, I refer to writing samples I've included as course files. In past iterations of this workshop, I have been able to successfully display these writing samples (PDF files) within a quiz question and enabled in-line previews (not automatic) for students. We haven't had an issue until today.

One of our tutors noted that rather than linking directly to the course file within the quiz question, Canvas now redirects to a much longer URL with a link.placeholder path.

The original and working URL to display a file preview: courses/1020073/files/32337273/download?wrap=1

The new URL with the link.placeholder pathway: courses/1020073/quizzes/842820/take/questions/LINK.PLACEHOLDER_5e233072f4c2637284e03b174f45f2f1

As a sub-account administrator, I'm able to view the link with the first URL above when I am previewing the quiz. However, when I opt to take the quiz or when I take the quiz using Student View, I'm presented with the second link. Clicking on the latter link gives a warning about navigating away from the page, then provides a Page Error with the message "Well, it looks like something broke unexpectedly. Sorry you had to see that. If you have a second, please let us know what you were doing when the error happened."

I copied this course into a new sandbox and I haven't been able to replicate the error there. Anybody know what's causing the automatic switch to the link.placeholder URL above and/or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Outcomes