AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is it possible to weigh quizzes with different point totals equally?

Question asked by Vincent Beaver on Jan 13, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2019 by James Jones

I have a bunch of quizzes set up in an assignment group. Each quiz has a different number of questions (anywhere from 2 to 5 questions) and I set it up so that each question is always worth 5pts. So let's say quiz 1 has 2 questions, it would be graded out of 10pts, quiz 2 has 5, it would be graded out of 25pts.

But here's the thing: I want each quiz to be weighed equally, so that in the scenario above, both quiz 1 and 2 would be weighed equally even though they have a different number of total pts. I want the average for all quizzes (the assignment group) to be the average of the percentages for each quiz, not a sum of all the points divide by a sum of all total possible points. My problem is that the way the assignment group average is being calculated does it out of points rather than percentages.

This is how it does it currently, which is what I don't want:

8/10 + 17/25 = 25/35 = 71%

I want it calculated like this:

(80% + 68%) / 2 = 74%

I know one solution would be to change the points so that each quiz is out of 100 pts, but I don't want to do that. The reason I don't want to do that is because then there would be a quiz with 2 questions and it would appear that each question was worth 50pts each, and then another with 5 questions each worth 20pts, which could be confusing for students. I also tried grading a quiz by points, then switching the display to percentage, but it doesn't change how the assignment group average is calculated, so that's another thing to rule out.

Is it possible to do what I want here?

Outcomes