I am trying to view messages sent to my Inbox via the API

Jump to solution
tarkesh_d_patel
Community Novice

I am trying to view messages sent to my Inbox via the API using the documentation here:

Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

Which according to the API is "for accessing the messages (emails, sms, twitter, etc) that have been sent to a user."

So I have run a simple test. I asked somebody to send me a message via the Inbox tool. I see the message sent to me in the UI. However when I try to see messages sent to me via the API I do not see this new message.

The only results I can see via the API call are about some automated messages from CANVAS to me like "You're signed up to receive a weekly report..." and I don't see the results of my simple test anywhere.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@tarkesh_d_patel ​,

That API is listed as being in Beta and I've sometimes found that they don't work as described.

The second thing is: are sure it's a communication message and not a conversation? You said you had them send it to you using the INBOX tool, but that doesn't sound like it would be a comm_message.

You might try using the Conversations API instead. It returns a lot of things for me while the CommMessages one just told me I didn't have anything.

View solution in original post